Wednesday 29 June 2016

ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION #5 - Which supporting X-Files character was most underused in the show?

For our next roundtable chat based on a key X-Files question...

Which supporting X-Files character was most underused in the show?

marita_covarrubias_and_alex_krycek

TONY: "I'm gonna say Marita Covarrubias. I know she wasn't much liked by the fandom but apart from the lovely Laurie Holden being on screen, I really think Marita deserved more exploration as the realisation of Chris Carter's concept for a female deep throat insider. She ended up just becoming Mrs Krycek very rapidly & then popped up far too randomly for my liking. There was a much more interesting character under the surface there, I'm convinced."

CARL: "Marita was my first thought too. Otherwise, I'd say Senator Matheson. The notion of Mulder having connections in Congress was a promising thread running through the early years of the series, that I don't think the writers developed enough. Raymond J. Barry did enough in his few appearances to justify a larger role."

SARAH: "Definitely agree with Marita! I think she could have been pretty badass, given the opportunity to shine. I also would have liked to see more Agent Pendrell. His star was extinguished much too soon. RIP, good buddy. You all know I'm thoroughly biased, but I think Skinner could have been used even more. There's a whole ocean of untapped potential there. Every time I watch 'Triangle', (and let's face it, EVERY EPISODE) I ache to have his point of view thrown in, too."

CARL: "A comedy episode from Skinner's POV could have been phenomenal."

SARAH: "Hollywood AD should have been his."

SAM: "Seconded Tony. I was also annoyed how she became just another damsel in distress, really. Would have liked her to have been more like Mr. X. He's not really a supporting character, but I would like to see Charlie Scully- see what he's all about."

ANDREW: "Definitely agree about Marita. I think she had a great role in those episodes, especially when she's seen as an envoy in Russia after the rebels land. I would love to see her return in Season 11! My vote is for Toothpick Man (Alan Dale). I'm disappointed he wasn't brought back for Season 10. He should have been used more, and IMHO we could have used a new antagonist rather than resurrecting CSM."

MICHAEL: "I agree with Tony, Martia Covarrubias was an excellent character that worked well, but I never felt like we got to know her or really her motivations like we did with X. Outside of her, can I say Deep Throat? I mean he dies in Season 1 and while I love how the series used him then and later on, I almost wish we had gotten two seasons out of him as opposed to just one, just so the impact was a little larger. There's also an argument to be made for the Lone Gunmen at times, but I guess they got their own show too..."

PAIGE: "This is a real toughie. I would have liked to have seen more of Marita and Matheson, because I thought both of them came off very two-dimensional. I didn't want to see more of Diana and Spender, because they were very one-dimensional, but we didn't get a lot on them. I always want to see more of Alex Krycek, because he always could slot into more episodes than they used him in. Maybe less punching bag and more insight into the guy and his ever-changing allegiances? I'm gonna go sooooo anti-fan base and pick Melissa Scully. During my current rewatch, I have a lot more respect for her and her opinion than I ever did in first run and on video and on DVD and on Netflix. DWhat do you think? Do you agree? Disagree? Let us know your choices in the comments below or on social media!efinitely softening on the Melissa front. But Glenne Headey in the movie was really the most underused. What a thankless role."

BAZ: "I'm currently working my way through season 9 and I'm going to go out on a limb and say Monica Reyes (I think Doggett is generally recognised as being awesome). She doesn't measure up to the other leads but she is not the bland character she's made out to be. She proves she can take the lead, has attitude and a great ability to play the Mulder role after he left the show. I love her relationship with Doggett and there is a great friend / mentoree relationship with Scully. She even gets a few good episodes too and Annabeth Gish delivers a fine performance. It's just a shame her character was utterly ruined in the revival because she really was one of the heroes in the later years..."

What do you think? Do you agree? Disagree? Let us know your choices in the comments below or on social media!

No comments:

Post a Comment